Saturday, December 13, 2014

Spoiled Things

One morning this week, I woke up thinking about the people that I need to continue forgiving. I have always had perfectionist standards for myself and for other people. It has led me to be disappointed and angry with myself, God, and many people whom I have walked with in my life. Forgiveness has been a struggle because to forgive meant accepting that things had not worked as I had hoped.

When I got out of bed, I found that our refrigerator door had opened up during the night. The fridge had been full of large dishes, and it could not quite contain its contents. I had to toss some food because it was above a safe temperature. It felt like a lesson from the Lord about forgiveness. God desires to use our daily lives to enable us for heavenly living. He has given us all things needed for life and godliness through the full and intimate knowledge of Jesus Christ.

This particular lesson allowed me to see forgiveness in a new light. In order to forgive, it is necessary to accept an important truth: Life events and relationship that we expected to nourish us and to delight us went bad. They simply spoiled. When I threw out food from the fridge, it was tempting to believe that the food might actually be OK and to keep it for consumption. To do so might have made me and my family sick. When we are unable to forgive, we are holding on to spoiled things because we are determined to keep living off those things. It is a refusal to accept that something went bad and that it is time to just let it go.

Once I disposed of the items that were questionable, it allowed me to move on and to focus on what was still good and what needed to be restocked. Forgiveness allows us to do the same thing. It does not make those things OK, but it allows us to move past what happened. Unforgiveness will make us emotionally sick because we are consuming things that have gone bad. It does not mean that we instantly forget what happened. It does mean that we can begin to replace our memories of what went bad with new things that nourish our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment