Friday, May 9, 2014

Seek First

Everything that Jesus said and everything written in the Word is subject to the filters that we possess. I was thinking about Matthew 6:33 this morning, “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” This verse requires a contextual understanding and an emotional wholeness to be properly received.

I treasure rules because rules guarantee outcomes. I gravitate toward principles in the Word and in the Christian walk because they help to predict what is coming next. Many books have been sold because they were rich in the study of biblical principles. I cannot speak for others, but much of my love of rules and principles is centered in distrust. Internally, I have used these abstractions to force God to be predictable.

The context of Matthew 6 is that our greater reward is yet to come, and that we are deeply loved right now. Jesus came to set us free from living for the here and now so that we could love God and others without being consumed by our own needs. At this point in my life, this is a hard truth for me. I know that Jesus’ character is being formed in me, and yet, I do not trust God the way that I should. I am growing convinced though I will not accomplish anything of lasting value except that I am willing to die to my way of getting it.

I am still learning how to walk this out. This is a heart thing. It is not a matter of having no desires or no needs. It is not a matter of trading obedience for provision. It is a relational trust that once fully developed will allow me to suffer gracefully and to love those who do not understand me. Such an outcome is daunting to consider, but I draw encouragement from Peter. Over time, God grew Peter from self-sufficiency to become the shepherd that he was called to be. I know that God can do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment