Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Distributed Goodness of God

I just finished roasting three small batches of coffee on our electric range. Our apartment smells like a coffee shop. It is wonderful! Coffee has a special significance for me. It is a drink that I enjoy, but more than that, it is a way that God has specialized his goodness toward me.

“Who satisfies your mouth [your necessity and desire at your personal age and situation] with good so that your youth, renewed, is like the eagle’s [strong, overcoming, soaring]!” – Psalm 103:5 (AMP)

God is good in a general sense, but he is also vast in the depth of his goodness. His expression of goodness is not intended to be generic. He desires that it would be personal with us, so he tailors the expression of his goodness to our uniqueness. For me, coffee is one such expression of God’s goodness. Early in our marriage, my wife and I purchased a latte machine. I fell in love with it! A few years ago, the old machine was retired and a new but inexpensive model took its place. Recently, a gasket in the steamer wand started to deteriorate and needed to be replaced. When I checked online, it was not available from the manufacturer. My wife checked at the local hardware store, but they did not have any appropriate gaskets. At the end of that workday, I visited a local thrift store that I frequent. There on the shelf sat the same model. The espresso section appeared to have seen almost no use. Not only was I able to replace the gasket, but I received new parts for most of the espresso section of the machine.

A year or two ago, a coworker introduced me to the practice of home coffee roasting. I purchased some green coffee beans online, procured a twenty dollar hot air popcorn popper, and started roasting coffee for my own consumption. After a year, the popper died. I did not want to replace it due to its relatively short lifespan. When it seemed as though I would have to resort to oven roasting, God distributed more coffee goodness. The day before I intended to oven roast, an almost new Whirly Pop kettle popcorn popper showed up on the thrift store shelf for a rather low price. I took it home and found out that I could roast even better coffee than before.

Where has God blessed you? What areas of uniqueness has God imprinted into you? He values us as dearly beloved children. He is looking for opportunities to bless you. There are ways that God desires to distribute his goodness to you that will be meaningful to you personally. Do not be afraid to know who you are and to expect God to bless your uniqueness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment